LOVE SCENE INVESTIGATION
My boyfriend Carlos and I live together and worship together at the same kung-fu school in Chinatown. Our Sifu Li is part Chinese and the son of an American soldier and a Chinese prostitute. Sifu Li is our Master and we obey his direction in eating, living and workshipping traditional Chinese gods like Kuan Kung and Kwan Yin. I love Carlos but lately he’s been allowing our Sifu to deal him drugs (marijuana, meth and crack). Plus he’s smoking with Sifu Li. Now I don’t know how drug use fits in with Buddhist spirituality but I am not wanting to build a future with a junkie. We’ve been dating for four years and if he’s not gonna put a ring on it should I try to help Carlos or just leave him with Sifu and his pipe?
I have been dating Casey for three months and he’s a great guy. We’re both Lutheran, never married, working, good credit and have no kids. Casey would love to have kids and he’d be a great Dad. He’s less enthusiastic about getting married. Should I work with him on his marriage reluctance or just call foul and walk away?
Your man gives you love, attention, affection and great sex. He’s a highly functioning dude. And yet just below the glittering surface image is addiction, degraded family values and the attitude that you just have to suck up the bad with the good.
What to do is an individual decision based on your priorities, values and needs. Certainly, you don’t want to end up in the hospital, family court or jail because your honey has some bad ideas. “I told you so” are hard words to hear after you’ve made risky choices.
TROUBLE – SHOOTING
Here’s some wise guidelines to help you think about making your grown-woman decision to keep or leave your man:
8. If you have doubt your man’s character, leave him.
Especially in light of the Sandusky and Fine scandal, wifeys shoulda been gone.
9. If a relationship ends because the man was not treating you right, don’t cling to him as a “friend.” That’s no friend for you.
10. Always put yourself and your happiness first.
11. Respect your boundaries when it comes to how a guy treats you. If something bothers you, speak up. If it doesn’t stop, drop him.
12. Dating can turn into engagement and marriage. Or not. Know when it’s time to cut the cord. Don’t waste time being strung along.
13. Actions speak louder than words.
14. Never let a man define who you are or your relationship with him. Be active, assertive and powerful.
15. Just because he says he loves you, that doesn’t mean that he won’t hurt you. “I love you” doesn’t mean that you are meant to stay with him.
16. You deserve to be the #1 person in the life of the #1 person in your life.
17. Love is a verb. Every day.
18. Give up your lifelong task of trying to make someone unavailable-available, someone ungiving-giving, and someone unloving-loving.
19. A man will only treat you the way you ALLOW him to treat you.
20. It takes half the length of a relationship to get over it. Take time to heal between relationships. Deal with your issues and leave them behind before pursuing a new relationship.